SERVICE TIMES
SUNDAYS @ 9AM
WEDNESDAYS @ 6PM

HISTORY OF FIRST BAPTIST CHURCH

First Baptist Church of Mountain Home has a long history of service to the people of the Mountain Home area. Those who worship and serve through First Baptist Church in Mountain Home are challenged by the spiritual needs of the community and endeavor to meet those needs through relationships, worship, prayer, evangelism, and discipleship.
 
Over the years, First Baptist has established or supported a number of missions, several of which are now self-supporting churches. These include Midway, Three Brothers, Eastside, Bull Shoals, Hilltop, and Big Flat. Ministries such as ladies mission groups, sewing groups, “Celebration” summer day camp, Soul Sneakers basketball, Mountain Home Flag Football, and worship services in both traditional and contemporary styles help FBCMH to connect or reconnect disconnected people with God.  Bible study groups meet on Sunday mornings and spiritual growth groups are held for all ages on Wednesday Family Nights following family dinners during the school year.   
 

The history of the First Baptist Church begins on June 29, 1868, when it was first organized as the Mountain Home Missionary Baptist Church with ten charter members. It was in existence twenty years before the city of Mountain Home was incorporated and five years before Baxter County was officially incorporated. The first church building was a one-room frame structure built at the corner of Hickory and Seventh Streets. In 1935, the church constructed a new frame building on the north side of Sixth Street just East of the square, where it remained for 18 years.    

 In 1953, a much larger stone building was constructed on the same lot, with later addition of an education building, and purchase of surrounding downtown lots for expanding ministries. 

 Today the current campus is located on thirty-one acres at the corner of Club Boulevard and Spring Street.  In 1984 the church voted to purchase acreage and construct an entirely new complex, with a ground breaking held on May 19, 1985.   An historic walk from the former church building on Sixth Street to the new building preceded the formal dedication and first worship service on June 29, 1986.  A note burning ceremony took place in June of 1992. By 1999, the Christian Life Center was added as a tool to minister, reach and serve the community.

 

a3
a5
a7
a25 FBC front cropped 1-15